70 is a huge milestone! Whether you’re planning the party for yourself, a family member or a friend, use these 70th Birthday Party Ideas to help make sure it’s a blast!
Your first step will be deciding what type of party you want to throw. Maybe a low-key barbecue in somebody’s backyard for family sounds perfect, or maybe you want to rent out a space and have a formal party. Whatever you decide, we have ideas for you!
Things to Consider When Planning a 70th Birthday Party
- The Date – Try to pick a date around the actual birthday, but on a weekend that isn’t too close to any holidays or events. December is filled with Christmas parties, and people with kids will find that May is busy with graduation and end of the year parties. Also be sure to consider the weather around that date!
- The Guest List – Some people love large parties with lots of guests, but others prefer more intimate gatherings. Be sure to consider the birthday person’s preferences when coming up with the guest list!
- Cost – Who’s paying for the party and what’s their budget? If multiple people are paying or planning, make sure that everyone agrees to the budget before any reservations or deposits are made.
- Surprise or Not? – Some people love surprise parties, but other people hate them! Try to find out before hand so there’s no disappointment.
Formal 70th Birthday Party Ideas
If the birthday man or woman likes to get dressed up, then a formal party might be perfect for them. Many of these options range in price, and some can be quite affordable! Some party ideas you might want to consider:
- A Dinner or a Cocktail Cruise – If you live by large body of water, there are companies where you can charter boats for the evening and invite your friends and family to celebrate with you!
- A Cocktail Party – Rent out a bar or club for the night and serve drinks and appetizers for you and your guests.
- A Museum – Museums have rooms that can be reserved for parties like this! Many also have professional party planners that can help you out with the details.
- The Zoo or Aquarium – Many zoos and aquariums have spaces that can be rented out for parties and events. This is a great option if you plan on having lots of young children who may get bored! Not to mention, it’s party idea few people will forget!
- A Garden – Most large cities have beautiful gardens that are happy to host parties. Even if you don’t live near a large city, find out if there’s anybody you know who has a beautiful garden that might be willing to host.
- A Golf Course – Golf courses can have gorgeous views and scenery, and there are almost always spaces for parties. Even for non-golfers, it can be perfect!
- A Hotel – Often times, hotels have meeting rooms or even ball rooms that can be rented out for occasions such as these. Some will not charge anything extra if you’re a guest!
Casual 70th Birthday Party Ideas
These casual party ideas work well for anybody who doesn’t want a huge to-do or to get dressed up! They’re also perfect for when the guest list includes lots of young families with kids.
- Home or Backyard – This is the cheapest and sometimes easiest option! It’s great for smaller gatherings or for open-house style parties.
- A Park – Many parks have shelters that can be rented out inexpensively. Many also have grills that you can use. This is perfect for an outdoor party!
- A Church – Most churches have gathering halls with kitchens that you can rent out and use.
- The Beach – If you’re lucky enough to live by a beach, then consider throwing a party there! Many have shelters that can be rented out, or you could also put up some umbrellas and do it yourself.
- A Game Room – Dave and Buster’s or other businesses similar to that make for wonderful party venues! Your guests can play and have fun while they celebrate the birthday person!
- A Recreation Center – Many rec centers have areas that can be reserved for parties, sometimes with kitchens.